In the Wisconsin State Senate...
- Kathleen introduced two bills that would change the way Wisconsin elections and state government work. SB 871 allows a person to request an absentee ballot from their county clerk rather than just a municipal clerk, enabling easier early and absentee voting. SB 872 introduces a process to ensure that non-fiscal policy items receive their own hearings and votes, increasing transparency and making it so non-fiscal items are debated on their merits and not hidden in a biennial budget.
- Kathleen has a long history of listening to and fighting for those living with disabilities (link to opportunities and support page). Most recently she has introduced SB 870, creating a Public Assistance Advisory Committee, giving people who are affected by a program a voice in how the program is run. “Those who receive help should not just be 'clients' – but full participants in the decisions that affect their lives.”
On the Campaign Trail...
- Check out Kathleen's new videos on Facebook about the damage done to Wisconsin schools after Act 10 and the Class A education system we can have if we invest in our communities and our teachers. Share them on Facebook, and check out all our campaign videos here.
- Volunteer teams are organizing across the state, now in 31 counties! They are getting ready to collect signatures to put Kathleen on the ballot starting in April and build active energy in communities around the state. Order your volunteer kit here and we'll help you as you build a team in your area.
- Our first spring fellows got trained in our Madison office on Sunday, ready to help build our organizing teams around the state! If you are or you know a young person looking to get involved while earning academic credit, encourage them to apply here.
Kathleen spoke on Wednesday with the Dane County Democratic Party. We appreciate the opportunity for her to talk about the latest from the State Senate, her vision for Wisconsin, her story, and how we win elections. Thanks to all the Voters for Vinehout team members who came out to show their support!
Our campaign is growing, and we need you to be a part of it. A recent Marquette poll shows that two thirds of Wisconsin voters don't know enough about the candidates for Governor yet: Donate, Volunteer, Share on Facebook, Tweet -- Get Involved Today and help bring Kathleen's People First message to these voters in YOUR community.